How to avoid going to the ER every time I

Patient

Q: How to avoid going to the ER every time I have an abscess? I am a type 2 diabetic who have reoccurring abscesses on the left side of my body.

Symptoms:  Severe Pain, Redness, Hot to the touch, irritated skin
Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

The following advice may help prevent skin abscesses.

Look after your skin
Ensuring that your skin is clean, healthy and largely free of bacteria can help reduce the risk of skin abscesses developing.
You can reduce the risk of spreading bacteria by:
washing your hands regularly
encouraging people in your family to wash their hands regularly
using separate towels and not sharing baths
waiting until your skin abscess is fully treated and healed before using any communal equipment, such as gym equipment, saunas or swimming pools
Do not squeeze the pus out of the abscess yourself, because this can easily spread the bacteria to other areas of your skin. If you use tissues to wipe any pus away from your abscess, dispose of them straight away to avoid germs spreading. Wash your hands after you have disposed of the tissues.
Take care when shaving your legs to avoid nicking your skin. Clean any wounds immediately and visit your doctor if you think there may be something trapped in your skin. Do not share razors or toothbrushes.

Eat healthily
Eating a diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals can help your immune system work properly and fight off infection. You should aim to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

Stop smoking
Smoking causes a wide range of serious health problems that can affect your immune system’s ability to fight infection. If you smoke, giving up is one of the best things you can do to improve your general health.

Take your medicines regularly and keep a good control over blood sugar levels and blood pressure readings.

Hope this helps. Take care.