How to avoid going to the ER every time I

Patient: How to avoid going to the ER every time I have an abscess? I am a type 2 diabetic who have reoccurring abscesses on the left side of my body.

Symptoms: Severe Pain, Redness, Hot to the touch, irritated skin

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.The following advice may help prevent skin abscesses.Look after your skinEnsuring that your skin is clean, healthy and largely free of bacteria can help reduce the risk of skin abscesses developing.You can reduce the risk of spreading bacteria by:washing your hands regularlyencouraging people in your family to wash their hands regularlyusing separate towels and not sharing bathswaiting until your skin abscess is fully treated and healed before using any communal equipment, such as gym equipment, saunas or swimming poolsDo not squeeze the pus out of the abscess yourself, because this can easily spread the bacteria to other areas of your skin. If you use tissues to wipe any pus away from your abscess, dispose of them straight away to avoid germs spreading. Wash your hands after you have disposed of the tissues.Take care when shaving your legs to avoid nicking your skin. Clean any wounds immediately and visit your doctor if you think there may be something trapped in your skin. Do not share razors or toothbrushes.Eat healthilyEating a diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals can help your immune system work properly and fight off infection. You should aim to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.Stop smokingSmoking causes a wide range of serious health problems that can affect your immune system’s ability to fight infection. If you smoke, giving up is one of the best things you can do to improve your general health.Take your medicines regularly and keep a good control over blood sugar levels and blood pressure readings.Hope this helps. Take care.