Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How to decipher the difference between a UTI, yeast infection, or possible pregnancy?

How to decipher the difference between a UTI, yeast infection, or possible pregnancy?

Patient: How to decipher the difference between a UTI, yeast infection, or possible pregnancy?

Symptoms: At work I can go hours without urinating and/or holding my urine because of my busy schedule. I don’t drink as much water as I should. I’ve been known in the past to have a shy bladder as well so I have issues with peeing in public restrooms because they gross me out. I am suffering for the past week or so with difficulty urinating, poor urine stream (except for first morning urination), hard bloat in lower abdomen, tenderness to touch lower abdomen, achy lower back, clitoral discomfort. I am currently not sexually active but last Tuesday was masturbated by partner and vaginal region came in contact with sperm residue. No apparent odd discharges, tender/sore breasts, and my last menstrual period was the 2nd of January. Is this a UTI? Yeast infection? Or by some odd chance be pregnant?

Doctor:

Patient: At work I can go hours without urinating and/or holding my urine because of my busy schedule. I don’t drink as much water as I should. I’ve been known in the past to have a shy bladder as well so I have issues with peeing in public restrooms because they gross me out. I am suffering for the past week or so with difficulty urinating, poor urine stream (except for first morning urination), hard bloat in lower abdomen, tenderness to touch lower abdomen, achy lower back, clitoral discomfort. I am currently not sexually active but last Tuesday was masturbated by partner and vaginal region came in contact with sperm residue. No apparent odd discharges, tender/sore breasts, and my last menstrual period was the 2nd of January. Is this a UTI? Yeast infection? Or by some odd chance be pregnant?