How to Diagnose Diabetes?

Patient

Q: My fasting blood sugar 136. Do you think that I will have to start taking metformin or insulin?

Doctor

A:   A fasting plasma glucose test measures blood glucose in a person who has not eaten anything for at least 8 hours before the collection of blood for testing. A level of 126 mg/dl or above, confirmed by repeating the test on another day, confirms that a person has diabetes. So if your fasting of 136 is the first time high result, you need to take atleast one another fasting blood test before you are diagnosed to have diabetes and can start the treatment.

A fasting plasma glucose (FPG) test measures blood glucose in a person who has not eaten anything for at least 8 hours. A level of 126 mg/dL or above, confirmed by repeating the test on another day, confirms that a person has diabetes. So if your fasting of 136 is the first time high result, you need to take atleast one another fasting blood test before you are diagnosed to have diabetes and can start the treatment.