Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How to gain weight healthy?

How to gain weight healthy?

Patient: I am 23year old my weight is only 56kg and my diet is also good but unable gain weight.IS protein shake or muscle gainer good for me. please answer my quiry

Doctor: First of all a specialist has to determine if your weight is appropriate according to your age and height. As a rough ru le of thumb, women should be at least 105 pounds for the first five feet of height, and another five pounds per inch after that; men should be at least 106 pounds for the first five feet, and an added six pounds per inch. Another gauge could be an individual’s body mass index (BMI), which is a system to categorize size based on a person’s height and weight. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute reports that people with normal weight have a BMI of 18.5-24.9. Anything below that is underweight, and anything above is overweight (25-29.9) or obese (30 or greater). If it is determine that you are underweight then you should be instructed to start a program with a nutritionist/dietitian on ways to gain weight healthy. The goal is to choose foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and calories so each bite is loaded with good nutrition. Start with nutritious foods and then wherever you can, enrich the foods with additional ingredients like yogurt, fruit, nuts, and healthy fats. Regardless of why you want to gain weight, eating meals or substantial snacks (think mini-meals) more often is the way to pack more calories into the day. Eat often and choose wisely, and you can expect to gain an average of half a pound to 1 pound per week. Athletes who want to bulk up need to add sufficient calories and protein along with proper  strength training to make sure they gain weight in the right places, then in your case you have to make sure that you have consistent exercise routine and eat protein-rich snacks immediately after to give the muscles the necessary post workout energy.