How to gain weight. should i need to take any drugs.

Q: I am very thin. my age 24 and height 173 cm but my weight is only 60. how i can gain weight with healthy diet . Please suggest me what should i do.

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

I would advise you strictly not to take any drugs to increase your weight. The drugs are usually steroids and they cause a lot of harm in the long term. Most commonly, if one is unable to gain weight it is due to constitutional reasons.
Following are the causes of weight loss or not able to gain weight at your age:
1. Malabsorption syndrome.
2. Inadequate diet
3. Intestinal Tuberculosis.
4. Hyperthyroidism.
These issues should be evaluated to rule out any organic cause for not able to gain weight. So, if you have any weight loss, pain abdomen, loose stools, you should get anti TTG Anti body test done to rule out Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac disease. You should also get your thyroid profile to rule out hyperthyroidism.
If no cause is found, just take high protein diet, more of fruits and vegetables and exercise regularly.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy