Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How to get adhd meds for my son through the emergancy room

How to get adhd meds for my son through the emergancy room

Patient: If i take my son to the er to have a psychiatrist evelate him can they give him meds

Symptoms: Adhd,mood disorder

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.ADHD medicines are generally not prescribed in ER. Generally your son may be asked to seek a psychiatry referral for detailed evaluation of ADHD and ones the diagnosis is confirmed, only then the medicines will be prescribed. I am sorry, but this is how it works. Never the less, ADHD is not an emergency issue and you can any how fix an appointment with your doctor and get the procedure started.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!