Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How to get rid of hair?

How to get rid of hair?

Patient: How can i stop hair growth on my body? i hate hair and i want to get rid of it forever… what can i do other then lazer machines ?how can i still let my hair on my head, eyebrows, eyelashes grow but let everything else stop growing?

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.Women are generally blessed with having less hair on the body and face, this i s due to the extremely less amount of testosterone in the body of a female. When a female has hormonal imbalance , she suffers from hirsutism , which is excessive growth of facial and body hair. If you feel your hair growth is abnormal I recommend a visit to a physician to rule out or diagnose more serious underlying conditions.Most common conditions associated with hirsutism are :1. PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) : In this condition, the ovaries have a lot of cysts which prevent them from producing eggs causing hormonal imbalance in the body. The other signs would be irregular menses, weight gain etc.2. Cushings syndrome : Excess production of Corticosteroids and sudden weight gain and fat accumulation around the belly and chest along with a mood face.3. Congenital adrenal Hyperplasia / excessive weight gain / tumor/ acromegaly / Medications.After a careful history, physical examination and series of tests your physician would be able to diagnose the underlying condition.Treatment would depend upon the diagnosis.Hope this information was useful.