How to get rid of spots on my face.

Patient

Q: When i am due to start my period each month my face flares up with large spots on my face. They are painful due to having loads come up in the same place. I've tried loads of things over the past couple of years to clear them but nothing has even come close to working. I've changed my diet completely, I've spent well over £100 on different products and tried creams that the pharmacist says work. (I've even tried home remedies) I don't usually get too worried about it but lately they are starting to scar my face or the spots will stay a very long time! HELP!

Symptoms:  Large sore spots on my face, pain due to how many come in one place.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Based on your description we are unable to determine what the etiology of these 'spots' are. If these spots are consistent with acne then it is possible the hormonal changes surrounding your monthly period results in a 'break out' of acne. It may be wise to consult a dermatologist regarding your symptoms as acne left untreated can result in unpleasant scarring.
Varying severities of acne breakouts around the time of one's menstrual period affects between 60-65% of women, and has been associated with the decrease in circulating reproductive hormones (estrogen and progesterone) prior to menstruation.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com