Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How to get rid of surgery scar from achilles tendon operation

How to get rid of surgery scar from achilles tendon operation

Patient: I had an achilles tendon tear about 2-3 years ago. I was wondering what the best way to get rid of the scar would be? I have attached a picture to this question for you to look at.

How to get rid of surgery s...-1

Doctor: Thanks for your question. As you can imagine scars are one of those permanent things on your body that you wish you coul d remove. As medicine and science get more advanced, we are learning many new methods to help git rid of those pesky scars. My suggestion for a non-abrasive treatment would be to try and use an aloe-vera cream or gel on the scar and keep it away from as much sunlight as possible. Over time it may help reduce the scar. You must apply the aloe-vera a few times daily and consistently over a long period of time. You may also go see a plastic surgeon to see surgical options for scar removal. Best of luck.