How to handle severe allergies from dust mites, foods, hay fever


Q: Over the last 25 years of my life I have had problems with dealing with dust mites, allergies to certain foods and even hay fever. I'm 50 years old now and am absolutely fed up with the effect it is having in my life. I end up getting runny noses, headaches, ear aches, itchy eyes just to name a few symptoms. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of drugs i am taking to get some relief. I have even gone to the extent of having 3 nose surgeries to try and help get some relief. Is there anything I can do at all to help fix these problems?


A:   It is unfortunate that you have had to deal with all these problems. Even though you have gone to get treatment it is upsetting that it has come with no results. One suggestion i would like to make off the bat is to try out a steroid nasal spray. There are many brands out there and it may be worthwhile trying out a few different varieties as they may help. Sometimes when you get symptoms as severe as yours, a short course of tablet steriods can be perscribed but you have to be cautious becaue of the side effects. My only other suggestion would be to see a specialist that deals with immunotherapy.

Related Q&A

Q: I have regular steaching of one side jaw in my mouth .but do not have any pain whats the reason

Q: Red pimples scattered on top of my foot? I had alopecia and took steroid injections to my head for 1 year.

Q: When I eat/use items containing Vitamin E I get a rash on the inside of my elbow. The skin becomes reddish and there ...

Q: I need help, I'm unable to sneeze , usually I sneeze regularly now I feel the sensation and desire to do it but somet...

Q: I broke out in red rashes all over my body except for my face and my knees to my ankles. I have been using prednozone...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon