How to handle tooth pain

Patient

Q: So I found out on Wednesday im 5 weeks pregnant. I had no idea and was taking ibuprofen for my teeth which was helping the pain and swelling well I ended up in hospital with severe stomach pain because of taking taking too much..so I went to my pcp and he gave me tramadol nerve blocker so I wouldn't feel the pain, well again I'm not allowed that while pregnant. So I was going through my drawer and found some of my percocet which is a circle white pill with 512 on it, it has 5 mg of oxycodone and 325 of ancetaphetamin in it, so I was taking those the couple days before I found out I was pregnant and they helped so much. Anyhow yesterday I tried taking 2 extra strength tylenols for my tooth pain and it didn't help :-( I have read about pregnant women taking vicoden and percocet while pregnant IF ABSOLUTLEY needed I don't abuse them and I don't take them everyday I only take one if its so bad that nothing else helps and I'm ready to cut my mouth off lol. My Gyne said ABSOLUTLEY not, but I was reading online last night and it seems vicoden nor percocet actually do any harm to the baby the doctors are just afraid that the mother or baby will get addicted. Should I take one of those when the pain gets unbearable? What is safer vicoden or Percocet? And is it true that it does no harm to the baby and if only one is taken here and there, baby will be fine?

Symptoms:  Pregnancy
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We strongly advise against taking any of these medications as they do have an increased risk of causing your child to be born with a dependency to these medications which will lead them to have life threatening withdrawal symptoms. We recommend that you have your doctor or dentist examine your teeth in order to determine the source of this pain and have it treated immediately. Do not self medicate with any of these medications.

Thank you or consulting AskTheDoctor.com