How to Know When to See a Doctor for Difficulty Concentrating

Patient

Q: I am 26 year old professional, working in software industry. I am having trouble in concentrating and I have become restless. I have difficulty in reading and writing and I find it hard to sit in one place for long. I am having these symptoms for last 18 months. I have tried meditation to increase focus but it didn't help. I am suffering a lot in my career due to this.

Doctor

A:   Concentration difficulties can be related to difficulty staying awake, impulsiveness, intrusive thoughts or concerns, overactivity, or inattention. They can be caused by medical, cognitive or psychological problems or may be related to sleep disorders or medications, alcohol or drugs. Psychological conditions that can interfere with concentration include anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder (alternating periods ofdepression and elevated mood), emotional trauma, and stress. Depending upon the cause, concentration difficulties may resolve with appropriate treatment. Since your symptoms have been chronic, it would require further evaluation by your doctor to determine the cause. It is important to rule out any serious underlying illness. I wish you well, take care.