How to optimize blood pressure control

Q: I've had border line hypertension for quite a while. I'm a trck driver and couldn't pass my d o t pysical because my pressure was 175 and they said that was too high. I've been on medicine and my doctor doubled it and did nothing, now she tripled it and still nothing. I's changing. I take it and it's high, then about half hour later it's low then it goes back up again. Any sugestions?

A:   Blood pressure fluctuates during the day in relation to exercise. What did you mean by doubled and tripled? Did your doctor increase the dose? Or another BP medicine was added? Either way, it still means that your blood pressure is not controlled with medications. BP meds control blood pressure by maintaining it in the normal range; it may fluctuate (increase or decrease) but still stay in the normal range. Dietary and lifestyle modifications are often ignored but are indeed very important measures to control high blood pressure as well. It is as equally important with BP medications. May I ask if you are taking your BP meds everyday? Or do you take them when you can remember or when you feel something’s wrong? If you are taking it everyday, then that is the right thing to do. If not, then that would be the explanation why your BP is not controlled. For suggestions, I would advice taking the BP drugs everyday as prescribed, low salt and low fat diet, cut down on sweets and do moderate regular exercise everyday (30 minutes of brisk walking is good enough). Since you also have high cholesterol, eat more peanuts, pecans, walnuts, mackerel, salmon, albacore tuna, avocados, and green leafy vegetables. Lowering your blood cholesterol may help decrease your blood pressure too. I do hope I have answered your question and I wish you well always.