How to prevent bunions

Patient

Q: I'm 16 and I really like wearing heels (about 2-5 inches.) I don't have bunions yet but I'm worried if I will get them from wearing heels. How can I prevent them?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The best way to prevent bunions is to make sure you are wearing foot wear that does not place excessive pressure/weight on the tips of your toes. For example, wearing high heels, can place excessive weight at the front of the foot which can result in the development of bunions. This does not mean you cannot wear heals at all, but try not to wear them every day. Furthermore, make sure that the shoes that you wear are the correct size, and not too tight, this will further assist in the prevention of bunions.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com