Q: I just tested postive for the hpv verus I have not had a pap in five years prier does this mean it has turned into cancer?

A:   I understand your concern about HPV virus. Genital human papillomavirus (also called HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). Having a positive result for HPV virus does not mean that you have cancer. There are different types of HPV virus and only some of them have the ability to develop cancer.
Certain types of HPV can cause genital warts in males and females. Other HPV types can cause cervical cancer. These types can also cause other, less common but serious cancers, including cancers of the vulva, vagina, penis, anus, and head and neck (tongue, tonsils and throat).
After having a diagnosis of HPV, it is suggested to have yearly pap smears to watch for changes in the cervix. I hope I could clear your doubt.