Patient: I had unprotected sex with a girl last night. the next morning she tells me that she received a phone call from planned parent hood. there was a problem with her pap test or something (the annual test you take for birth control) and that sh may have hpv. i’m a male 26 year old… what do i do now? i’m afraid that i might have gotten it from her. if so what are the steps i should take now?

Doctor: This is the most common sexually transmitted infection with more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of males and females.HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex. HPV may also be passed on during oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. A person can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. Most infected persons do not realize they are infected or that they are passing the virus on to a sex partner.In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But there is no way to know which people who get HPV will go on to develop cancer or other health problems. Certain types of HPV can cause genital warts in males and females, other HPV types might lead to cancer over time like cervical cancer, vagina, penis and anus.Currently, there is no test designed or approved to find HPV in men. The only approved HPV test on the market is for women, for use as part of cervical cancer screening. There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status.” I would suggest you to wait and consult your doctor if you notice warts in your genitalia, however there would be little chance for men to develop these lesions.