Patient: I have been diagnosed with HPV. I recently was informed of this after my test results came back from my well women exam. My question is—should i follow up on treatments?–Is my life in danger?—Will I still be able to have Children?—Is HPV cancerous?–Will It ever go away?–The only thing i was told was that I need to wait another year to get another check up–is it recommended to get one sooner?

Doctor: HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genita l areas of males and females, most people with HPV do not develop symptoms or health problems from it. In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.Only a few types can cause cervical cancer and others warts but not the same type will cause both of them.There is no treatment for the virus itself, but there are treatments for the diseases that HPV can cause:can be removed by the patient him or herself with medications. They can also be treated by a health care provider.is most treatable when it is diagnosed and treated early. But women who get routine Pap tests and follow up as needed to detect it before it develops.Let me reassure you that having HPV does not necessarily means that you are going to have warts or cancer but I would suggest you to comply with your yearly pap smears and if you develop warts, avoid having sexual contact or use female or male condoms to prevent transmission. I wish you the best.

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts