HPV and Genital Warts Despite Having Only One Sexual Partner

Q: In the year of 2009 I discovered I had genital warts. I was never sexually active and I never slept around, it was this one guy I liked a lot who did sleep around - stupid me. I believe I have the right to say I went through hell during these 7 months. (Depression, pain, irritation, medication, money, embarrassment, anger.) I used alavara 3x a week for 4 months. During that time many did go away, and new ones came back. It was very irritating when I tryed to sleep, sometimes it would keep me up/wake me up in mid night. I went back to my doctor after the treatment, and he froze them with nitrogen, which was the worst pain I have ever felt.(Couldn't walk normal, dehydrated myself so I wouldn't urinate, and when I did I would scream/cry.) I had to do this about 4 times. Finally when I came back he said I was clear and they were gone. Also, I have received the 3 shots of the gardasil needle. I don't know what to do right now. Since September I have had nothing. I know on the internet it says HPV is for life - and then I find other sites that say your immune system can fight the virus and kill it for good. I wish I could believe this. My doctor didn't even give me a straight answer as to if I have it for life...it was like he wasn't sure. Is research not accurate? All I got from him was: A I have no clue look, and then "Its a weird virus. You most likely won't get warts again, I don't think you will. If you are clear you shouldn't be able to give it to someone else." What does that suppose to mean? It has been 7 months since the worst experience of my life. Is there any way I could take a test where it tells me if the virus is gone out of my body? Do you think the virus will leave my body? Do you think I will ever get them again? Do you think I am able to give it to someone else? Why is it the guy who gave it to me had no symptoms, has a girlfriend now, who also has nothing? Does this mean the virus is gone from him? I think about these things everyday they are driving me nuts. I cry myself to sleep sometimes and I know it makes me depressed even thoe I try not to show it. Its as if I am being haunted even though they are not present. I turn down every guy that walks my way even if I am interested in them. I am sick of living like this. Please, please find out if there is a chance the virus dissapears. Help. Thanks, Greatly Appreciated!

A:   Genital warts represent the most common sexually-transmitted disease caused by a virus:human papillomavirus (HPV). Infection with genital warts may not be obvious. Genital warts affect both men and women and can occur at any age. Most patients with genital warts are between the ages of 17-33 years. Genital warts are highly contagious. There is a 60% risk of getting the infection from a single sexual contact with someone who has genital warts. Common warts are not the same as genital warts and are caused by different HPV types that infect the skin. Genital warts are indirectly associated with use of birth control pills because of the increased sexual contact without the use of barrier protection, multiple sex partners, and having sex at an early age.
No single treatment is effective in eliminating warts and preventing them from coming back. Genital warts may go away on their own in about 10%-20% of people over a period of three to four months. The treatment modalities include:cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen), Laser, Electrodessication (uses an electric current to destroy the warts).
Women with genital warts should see their doctor for a routine Pap smear and investigation for HPV infection of the vaginal canal and cervix. If the genital warts are not successfully treated with the initial therapy, follow-up with your doctor to discuss other options for alternative treatment.