Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > HPV and PAP EXAMS

HPV and PAP EXAMS

Patient: I recently received a pap exam. My results came back abnormal and said I have high grade at risk cervical cells that may be HPV. Would there be any other causes for this abnormality? Also, is there other ways to contract HPV other than sex? Like using public bathrooms, tanning beds etc.?

Doctor: HPV is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections. There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the geni tal areas of males and females. These HPV types can also infect the HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex. HPV may also be passed on during oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types that can cause cancer. There is no way to know which people who get HPV will go on to develop cancer or other health problems.There is no treatment for the virus itself, but there are treatments for the diseases that HPV can cause, therefore I will suggest you to comply with your follow up visits, your Gynecologist probably would ask for repeated PAP Smears or other more detailed tests. I wish you a prompt recovery.