x
90 Physicians Online

Question:

HPV and sex with partner

I have recently had an abnormal pap smear and it could be hpv. I go for more testing in 2 weeks. I am married, should I be having sex or unprotected sex?

Answer:

If you choose to be sexually active, condoms may lower the risk of HPV. To be most effective, condoms should be used with every sex act, from start to finish. Condoms may also lower the risk of developing HPV-related diseases, such as genital warts and cervical cancer. But HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom - so condoms may not fully protect against HPV infection.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.