Hpv -genital wart

Patient

Q: For one who has been leaving with the virus for about ten years,is it possible to treat the virus,or what are your suggestions.and if treated can one hve unprotected sex.

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about Genital Herpes, This type of Herpes is caused by Herpes Virus Type 2 or HSV-2 is a common sexually transmitted disease that affects both men and women and is characterized by pain, itching and sores in your genital area.
As you may already know there is no cure for this condition and the virus will stay in the body forever, however there are treatments that could accelerate the process during outbreaks. Genital herpes is different for each person. The signs and symptoms may recur for years. Some people experience numerous episodes each year. For many people, however, the outbreaks are less frequent as time passes.
Treatment includes oral prescription antiviral medications, such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir) and valacyclovir (Valtrex). These would help sores heal sooner during an initial outbreak, Lessen the severity and duration of symptoms in recurrent outbreaks, reduce the frequency of recurrences and minimize the chance of transmitting the herpes virus to another person. It would be better to avoid having sexual contact without using condoms especially during outbreaks; however this virus can also be contagious even if no lesions are present. I wish you the best.