HPV testing

Patient

Q: Is there a test to check for HPV in men?

Is there anything that you can do if you think you may have it because a partner has it?

Doctor

A:   Herpes s a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex viruses type 1 (HSV-1) or type 2 (HSV-2). Most genital herpes is caused by HSV-2. Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum.Your health care provider can diagnose genital herpes by visual inspection if the outbreak is typical, and by taking a sample from the sore(s) and testing it in a laboratory. HSV infections can be diagnosed between outbreaks by the use of a blood test. Blood tests, which detect antibodies to HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection, can be helpful, although the results are not always accurate.There is no treatment that can cure herpes, but antiviral medications can shorten and prevent outbreaks during the period of time the person takes the medication. If your partner has it and you already had contact with her, you might want to take and antibody test to rule out transmission, and if you have not, you might want to avoid sexual contact especially when blisters are present and draining. Wear condoms to reduce the risk of transmission.