HPV transmission

Q: I am currently being vaccinated (I have had 2 shots already and I'm waiting for my 3rd) against HPV, but after having my first shot I gave a handjob to my boyfriend (whom has never had sex before, but whom has given/received stimulation of the genitals by hand from/with his ex-girlfriend whom was his first partner and he was also her first partner). I used to think that this was safe even though I didn't complete the entire vaccination as yet, but I recently read some articles saying that hpv can also be transmitted by handjobs and skin-to-genital contact... What are the chances that I am infected? and should I wait until after my 3rd vaccination to continue with these kind of activities?

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible to contract HPV from this type of sexual contact however the risk is very low. If your partner is not infected with HPV or does not have any active lesions in his genital area, the risk is even lower. We do not believe you should be concerned by this.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com