HPV Transmission

Patient

Q: My son and his girlfriend have HPV ( I don't know what form) is it possible for me to contract HPV from either of them through casual contact, i.e. a hug, a kiss on the cheek etc.

Doctor

A:   Human papillomavirus (also called HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of males and females.
Some HPV types can also infect the mouth and throat. Most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it, through sexual contact but let me reassure you that it won’t be transmitted by a hug, kiss in the cheek or shaking hands. I hope I cleared your doubt.