x
Browse
151 Physicians Online

Question:

HPV Vaccination insetting of CIN 1

I would greatly appreciate an opinion on my vaccination against HPV. I am 33, sexually active since 5 years, have CIN 1 for a period of 2 years at least (hadn't been checked before) & my HPV-typing test is negative for both high & low grade types of HPV. Shoud I get vaccinated? Thank you in advance!

Answer:

Human papillomavirus (HPV) can cause genital warts, cancer of the cervix, and various cancers of the vulva or vagina. HPV vaccine (Gardasil) is used to prevent genital warts and cervical/vaginal cancers caused by certain types of HPV (types 6, 11, 16, and 18) in girls and young women. HPV vaccine is given as an injection (shot) into a muscle in your upper arm or thigh, in a series of 3 shots. You may have the first shot at any time as long as you are between the ages of 9 and 26 years old. Then you will need to receive a second dose 2 months after your first shot, and a third dose 6 months after your first shot.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends HPV vaccine for all girls ages 11 or 12 years old. The vaccine is also recommended in girls and women ages 13 through 26 years old who have not already received the vaccine or have not completed all booster shots.
You may receive this vaccine even if you have already had genital warts, or had a positive HPV test or abnormal Pap smear in the past. However, this vaccine will not treat active genital warts or HPV-related cancers, and it will not cure HPV infection.
In your particular case, you are 33 years old, and the age to receive the first shot is between 9 and 26 years old and also your HPV typing test is negative.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA