HPV Vaccines

Q: Are there any vaccines for adult males to prevent getting HPV. I read online about Gardasil, but it says is for men under 26. I am considering a relationship with a woman who has HPV, but I am 50 years old. Do I have any alternatives?

A:   There are 2 vaccines on the market that help protect against common strains of HPV that cause genital warts.  All the studies to date have been on women under the age of 26 as this is a highly susceptible population.  Studies for men and older women are planned to see if the vaccine is as effective in these populations in reducing the spread of the HPV virus.
Until these studies are completed, we are unable to provide the answer to your question.
However, I do know of doctors who are advising their male patients (young and old) of the vaccine. Speak to your doctor on his or her opinion.