Human Growth Hormone: uses and side effects

Q: What are the benefits and negitive side effects of taking HGH for a male with low hormone levels? What amount is safe to take and how often should it be taken?

A:   First of all, growth failure is the term that describes a growth rate below the appropriate growth velocity for age, but there are some other factors of short stature as: parents height (familial short stature), timing of the puberty because with the sexual hormones the epiphysial fusion occurs early, resulting in premature slowing of growth velocity, usually resulting in a short adult height. In your particular case, your epiphysis have closed already, (you stated that you are in the 26-35 age range), reducing your potential for an additional growth in stature. Somatropin or HGH(Genotropin, Genotropin Miniquick, Humatrope, Norditropin, Norditropin Cartridge, Norditropin Nordiflex Pen, Nutropin, Nutropin AQ, Omnitrope, Saizen, Serostim, Tev-tropin, Zorbtive) is used to treat growth failure in children and adults who lack natural growth hormone, and in those with chronic kidney failure, Noonan syndrome, Turner syndrome, short stature at birth with no catch-up growth, and other causes. Somatropin is also used to prevent severe weight loss in people with AIDS, or to treat short bowel syndrome. Possible side effects include: allergic reactions, hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, nausea, vomiting, sweating, fever, fast heartbeat, yellowing of the skin or eyes; sudden and severe pain behind your eyes, vision changes; increased thirst and urination; redness, soreness, swelling, skin rash, itching, pain, or bruising where the medicine was injected. Overdose can cause tremors or shaking, cold sweats, increased hunger, headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, fast heartbeat, and nausea. Long-term overdose in adults may cause excessive growth, called Acromegaly.