Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Humures fracture

Humures fracture

Patient: I have severe humerus fracture with dislocation. I have plate and 8 screws in shoulder and arm.Also had second surgery adhesive capsulitis. It has been 2 years and now my arm is swelling and lots of pain. What is wrong?

Symptoms: pain, swelling in shoulder

Doctor: Thank you for your question. If the swelling in your arm is a recent event it is possible that there my an inflammatory response to an infection, or irritation taking place at the area of your surgery. Furthermore, it may be possible that there could be an obstructed lymphatic vessel due to the scar tissue from your previous surgery. This is preventing lymphatic fluid from draining from your arm, resulting in the observed swelling that you experiencing. Lastly, it is also a possibility that you are experiencing aggravation of your previous condition of capsulitis. The best advice we can give is that given the nature of your swelling after, and your previous history of multiple surgeries in the area, we recommend that you see your doctor to be examined as soon as you can. You may require to have a repeat X-ray or MRI performed to assist your doctor in determining the cause of your swelling and pain.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com