Hurt back with muscle spasms and now lump

Q: What is the proper way to to treat an injured back? My husband hurt his back yesterday while doing some heavy lifting. Soon after he started having spasms so bad he couldn't move. He was in bed from then until this morning (almost 20 hours) because anytime he tried to move the pain would come & it was so strong he'd even scream. He was finally able to get up this morning and now we noticed a lump on his left side lower back. The spasms only seem to come now when he tries to sit or stand. Should he apply heat, cold, what medicine should he take or should he go to the doctor?

Symptoms:  Extreme pain in the lower back, spasms, small lump on lower left side of back