Hurt knee

Q: Yesterday.last night i feel really hard on my knees and they are both scratched up and hurt. but the right one hurts extermly bad and i can't bend it now. last night i was walking on it, i even had to run. it was still swollen when i woke feels like there is perssure and if i try to bend it i feels like its going to pop so i stoped. what do i do? and does it sound serious.

A:   Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones or capsule, but if there is no significant swelling or deformity, and no limitation on the active movements (flexion, extension), a fracture or dislocation may be ruled out. Also if there is no instability or locking a menisci lesion may be ruled out. The suggested strategy for the initial treatment includes: use of local ice, rest, elevation of the leg, anti-inflammatory drugs (as “advil”) and the use of a knee immobilizer. If all these directions are followed, then the normal function should return in few days, but if the pain, swelling and limitation on the movements persist an Orthopedic Surgeon must re-evaluate the injured knee.