Hurting when unbending

Q: I got into a horrific car accident and I'm not sure of my knee is sprained or not. The hospital did X-rays and all they said was that it isn't broken but it could be sprayed. It hurts sometimes mostly after I stop bending my knees for a long time. My cousin said she had the same problem last year and she said I should get a knee supporter. Should I? It only hurts sometimes not always when I move but when it does it hurts like out of 10 a 7.

A:   Thank you for your question. Since you were cleared for any fractures, it is possible that your pain is due to injury to the tendons, ligaments or soft tissue injury. This may take a long time to heal on its own and may also require further medical evaluation to determine your course of treatment. In the meantime we recommend avoiding strenuous activities such as high impact sports. You can employ the moderate use of a knee brace. You can also use some oral anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain as you need it. We do recommend that you have your knee examined again by a doctor to determine if any of the ligaments in your knee joint are severely injured and require further treatment.

Thank you for choosing