Husband taking new med

Q: My husband was diagnosed with high bloob pressure and was prescribed 40mg once per day of Micardis oral yesterday. He drinks 2 cans of beer, no more, before bed and then takes this med. I dont think that this is safe. Please respond!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A:   Micardis (Telmisartan) is an angiotensin II receptor blocker used in the treatment of high blood pressure. It lowers blood pressure by dilating peripheral blood vessels. Alcohol has a similar effect and may lower the blood pressure even further. This should not be a problem if lying flat in bed. However if your husband got up suddenly during the night, he may feel faint or dizzy and even collapse. If concerned regarding this enhanced blood pressure lowering effect, he could simply change the time of administration of the drug, for example to the morning.