Hyland's Nerve Tonic while Breastfeeding

Patient

Q: Is it safe to take Hyland's (Homeopathic) Nerve Tonic while breastfeeding? Its says on the bottle that its 100% safe but I still want to make sure. Thank You!

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. In general, we do not recommend taking any tonics, herbal supplements, and vitamins that are not prescribed by a doctor, nor approved by the FDA. Since the product you have mentioned, is a homeopathic product we are not certain if there are any components to it that will enter the breast milk and subsequently your child while he or she nurses. We recommend that you refrain from taking this tonic until after you complete nursing. If you would still like to take this tonic, we recommend that you first bring the tonic to your doctor to have them study its contents and determine if it is safe for you to ingest while breastfeeding.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com