Hyper-extended knee, post injury pains?

Patient : Hello, I am currently a freshman in college and I hyper-extended my right knee sophomore year of high school during track in the spring season doing the triple jump. It has been a good 2 and half years since my injury, but I am still getting knee pains. I went to the ER the day of the injury thinking I broke my leg, but they told me I am fine, I just hyper-extended it, the pain will go away in a few weeks. A couple months went by and I was still unable to do certain things (like run). I went to a specialist to check it out and they told me they would have to take an MRI to find out, but I haven't gotten that done. I waited it out, the pain got better, and now I'm able to run. But at certain times, when I sit too long or stand too long, nowadays, I feel a sharp pain in my knee and it starts to hurt very bad. I used to break dance and used to do certain moves... now when I try those old moves, my knee starts to hurt very bad. So high intensive exercises and just standing/sitting too long hurts my knee. The pain in my knee isn't like an exterior pain. It's not on my kneecap or anything. I looked at the anatomy of a knee and I'd say (trying to be as accurate as possible here) that my knee pains are around my ACL, PCL, and MCL (the inner portion of my leg front/back). When I flex my calf and extend my leg the pain is very much there, sometimes making a cracking sound too. Can you help diagnose my problem or suggest any exercises or things I should do to better my knee? Do I need surgery? Is it too late for surgery? P.S. My knee looks completely average; no swelling or dislocations from the looks of it. Thanks, Raymond
Symptoms:  Pain in innermost knee, inside the knee, hurts with intense physical activities, hurts when bends sometimes (doesn't hurt when bending left to right), hurts after long standings/sittings.
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. Hyperextension of the knee can lead to injury of the ligaments of the knee joint. You may b e suffering from an injury to either the ACL, MCL or meniscus of the knee joint. The cracking sound you are experiencing is called crepitus, which is also a very common finding in knee joint injuries. You will need to follow up with a specialist in sports medicine or orthopedic surgery and have a MRI of the knee joint performed. This will clearly elucidate the severity of this knee injury and based on these findings, your treatment will be designed. This treatment can range from physiotherapy to surgical repair. The sooner you have this examined, the sooner you will be able start treatment and eventually be pain free. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon