Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hyperextended my knee two days ago and have been in

Hyperextended my knee two days ago and have been in

Patient: Hyperextended my knee two days ago and have been in pain. Knee locked up on me last night when trying to stand up from a sitting position. Pain is in front of knee going down towards the shin, side of knee( medial side) and back of knee. Have tried icing, elevation and Ibuprofen. Very little relief. Leg feels like it’s going to give out on me

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query at ATD for opinion.You had two separate episode of hyperextension of knee followed by spontaneous locking of knee leading to constant pain around the knee.Can you please mention whether there was any preceding event related to hyperextension of knee?Have there been any knee related complaint in the past?Hyperextension of knee joint can damage ligaments, cartilage and other stabilizing structures both internal and external in the knee joint particularly the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL). Damaged cruciate ligament and meniscal injury are known to cause locking episodes of knee joint. To diagnose such condition, firstly a clinical examination is done to make a provisional diagnosis followed by MRI scan knee joint to confirm the provisional diagnosis.In your current condition, you should avoid bending the knee. Knee is to be splinted in a splint where knee bending will be restricted.Intermittent icing, Tylenol/Ibuprofen, and limb elevation with toe movements has to be continued. Restriction of knee movements is most important factor to provide pain relief.My recommendation for you is to visit your local orthopaedic doctor for clinical evaluation of your condition.Feel free to discuss further.Regards

Patient: Well I hyperextended it and then had the episode of it locking. Have had a torn meniscus in the same knee but it’s been knee 5 years since I’ve had surgery on it and also at that time dr told me that my ACL was stretched out. Not sure what that means.

Doctor: You have lax ACL with some meniscal lesion. They have led to the episode of hyperextension and later some torn fragment might have interposed between the joint surface causing locking.
On hyperextension of knee posterior joint capsule get streched causing posterior knee pain while the anterior pain is due to menoscal and ACL injury.
Physical examination is a must for diagnosis in such a scenario. Splintage is recommended for pain relief.
Wish you good health and a speedy recovery.

Patient: Ok thank you for your time and information. It’s greatly appreciated

Doctor: I’m glad that I could be of help to you. Thank you for your positive feedback.