Hyperextension of the knees now hurting?

Patient

Q: My knees have the appearence of being hyper-extended and have for years. Over the years, the pain has slowly been appearing and more recently, has started being really bad, to the point that I cannot walk at times. Could this be due to prolonged hyperextension, or could it be something else?

Doctor

A:   Some persons have what is called Hypermobile joints, this is most likely your case. In this particular condition the joints move beyond their expected and normal range with any effort. This is considered a benign condition in most of the case, but in few cases may be a feature of rare diseases, one called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and the other: Marfan Syndrome. The treatment is basically physical therapy aimed to teach you movement re-education that involves improving postural control and alignment, joint position sense and balance. Maintain more neutral joint positions in order to prevent ligament strains and a customized exercise routine to improve strength and endurance so you can keep good physical fitness.