Hyperparathyroidism.

Patient

Q: I had some lab work done in Dec. of 2012, and it came back and showed that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. My doctor put me on Vit D pills. 50,000 units for 7 days, then 1- 50,000 unit pill once a week, for 4 months. I still have about 5 weeks left of the Vit D therapy. I want to get checked for Hyperparathyroidism though. The tests that I need done are my, parathyroid hormone (PTH), and calcium (serum and ionized.) My doctor said that she would do these tests, but she wanted my Vit D levels normal first. If I have Hyperparathyroidism, then I should NOT be on Vit D.

So, since taking Vit D can lower my PTH and could cause an uptake in my calcium, would continuing to take the 50,000 units of Vit D weekly, affect my pth level, and make it where it wasnt a correct reading, since it can lower it, also my calcium wouldn't be correct, right? Shouldn't she take me off of the Vit D, and wait a period of time (2 weeks ???) until it gets out of my system completely, then run these other tests? I don't want to go spend money on tests, that aren't even going to be correct. I'm not saying for sure that I have Hyperparathyroidism, but I want to be tested to see if I do or not, and have the tests ran correctly.

Doctor