Hypertrophic Scar

Q: Hi Doc

I was in a car accident about 15 years ago which has caused scarring in my facial area. about 3 years ago i had surgery removing a cyst in my face. Few weeks after the cyst scar hed healed the ols scars starting to lift and turned dark reddish.Which I believe is hypertrophic scarring. I have used all different kind of oils and ointments and none of was working like it suppose to.
My question is:
1.What could have caused this hypertrophic scarring, because i have never had this problem before?

2. What is the best possible treatment for this

A:   Thank you for your question.

It is possible that you have developed hypertrophic scars during the healing of your cyst removal. Fortunately, there are many options for the treatment of hypertrophic scars. The single handed most efficacious treatment is the injection of a corticosteroid called triamcinolone (kenalog) directly into the scar. This acts over the course of 6 weeks and may require several injections to achieve a flat scar. Any plastic surgeon can perform this injection in an office setting and poses minimal risk. If you have darker color skin, there is a risk of skin hypopigmentation (lightening) in the area of injection that should be discussed with your doctor.
Silicone gel sheeting has also shown promise in the reduction of hypertrophic scars. I would also recommend daily massaging of the scars after the steroid has been injected. This will help the collagen fibers to be broken up and reorganized in a linear fashion.