Hyperuricemia and Knee Pain

Patient

Q: I'm a 51 year old man,living in UAE.For the past 8 months or more I've got a problem in my both knees.It's a feeling of uneasiness and cold,it's somewhat similar to feeling of slight burning,when I sit for a long time specially in AC.If I rub them time to time or keep them covered by hands or wrapped in socks it feels better. Recently an uric acid test showed a higher levet of it,which is 7.8.Doctor advised to avoid meat,fish and beans etc.Still I didn't take medicines.I would like to ask if the cause of problem is increased level of uric acid?Is only avoiding these foods can help decrease it? What medicine should I take if necessary?Can I eat eggs,nuts,sweets,cheese,lentils? Waiting for your valued advice eagerly,please help.Thanks

Doctor

A:   Hyperuricemia is the medical term for elevated uric acid levels in the blood.  When hyperuricemia is detected, it is often unclear if the symptoms are due to the elevated uric acid levels or simply an incidental finding.  Nonetheless, a diet attempting to lower uric acid levels is a safe initial treatment plan and the symptoms can be reassessed if there is no improvement.
Uric acid is waste produced during the breakdown of purine, a substance found in many foods. Uric acid normally is carried in your blood, passes through your kidneys and is eliminated in urine.
Foods high in purine that should be avoided include: Beef, Pork, Bacon, Lamb, Seafood  and Alcoholic beverages.
Foods with moderate amounts of purine that can be eaten in moderation include: Asparagus, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Peas, Spinach, Whole-grain breads and cereals, White poultry meats, such as chicken, duck and turkey, Kidney and Lima beans
Most other food are considered negligible sources of purine and can be eaten as part of a balanced diet.
There are medications that help lower uric acid levels but before beginning them, one should ask their doctor if the elevated uric acid levels could be a sign of another disease that requires a different treatment.