Hypo and hypertention? 149/59

Q: Hi I'm a 27 year old female whos athletic and eats well. I had a blood pressure of 149/59 and heart rate of 50 at the dentist the other day. I have symptoms of low blood pressure sometimes but how can i be hypo and hypertension and what should i do?

Symptoms:  fatigue, lightheaded upon standing or randomly, heart beat races randomly

A:   Thank you for your questions. Fluctuations in blood pressure between hypo- and hypertension can be caused by different etioligies. One of the possibilities is due to hormonal fluctuations such as in thyroid hormone. Certain medications can cause fluctuations in blood pressure such as Lithium. Lithium can cause a condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome, wherein fluctuations in blood pressure is a symptom. we recommend that you have your doctor evaluate you for any of these possible causes for your changes in blood pressure.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com

Patient: I did not mention that my abnormal blood pressure changes have been occurring for a couple years now so luckily neuroleptic malignant syndrome is not the case. Today my blood pressure was 120/68 then two hrs later 108/60 accompanied by fatigue and lightheadedness. I'm having a full blood panel done including t3 and t4 so hopefully that brings some answers!