Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hypoglycaemia and infection

Hypoglycaemia and infection

Patient: I was told that I had reactive hypoglycemia about five years ago, and have really had no symptoms in years, other than it seems that when I get a cold or virus, my blood sugar level seems to drop, and is hard to control. Is it possible for a cold or sinus infection to play a part in this matter?

Doctor: It is true that hypoglycaemia or low blood sugar can be a complication, associated with metabolic alterations, as a resu lt of infection. The importance of this is to be aware of the fact that you are prone to this condition, and these symptoms of hypoglycaemia may include: Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness, palpitations, increased heart rate, sweating, coldness and clamminess. You must therefore increase your calorie intake appropriately, in times of additional stress such as infection.