Hypoglycemic after 8 month Bodybuilding Contest Prep Diet?

Patient: I just finished a long 8 month bodybuilding contest diet and was down to extremely low carbs and almost no sugar during the last couple months. During this time, I began to get lightheaded going up and down on the elliptical after about 20 minutes. Even though my calories are all the way back up now and its has been about 2 months since my show, I still get lightheaded on the elliptical. Have I developed Hypoglycemia from dieting on such low carbs and/or sugar for so long? What should I do to fix this?

Symptoms: Lightheadedness
Weakness
Shaky

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you could be hypogylcemic and malnourished from the extreme diet you un derwent during preparation for the contest. Increasing your calories may not be sufficient in treating your symptoms of weakness and light headedness. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to conduct a full examination, including listening to your heart, measuring your blood pressure and having a complete blood work performed. It may be possible that this lightheadedness could be due to iron deficiency anemia you developed from extreme dieting. Once diagnosed, the proper adjustments to your current diet can be made to treat your symptoms, along with prescription medication if needed.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical question.