Hypoglycemic penis shrinking

Patient

Q: Hi, I'm a diabetic, 20 years of age, and I've noticed that when I have a hypoglycemic episode, my penis shrink considerably. I'm not massively endowed, but even this is very noticeable and my girlfriend has even commented on it.. Is this normal?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that during hypoglycemic episodes body fluids redistribute into the interstitial spaces of the body, resulting in the observed reduction in size of your penis. This is likely to be a normal response to hypoglycemia. This is something you should not be concerned with.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com