Hypothyroidism

Patient

Q: Hi,

I am 19 and suffer from hypothyroidism. I am currently prescribed 175mcg Levothyroxine per day which for the last 6 months on blood tests, the doctors have said is the optimal level. As a consequence of the condition, I have the body of a 15-16 year old (my body started growing again at 16).

I am 5' 5", weigh around 95kg and have no other medical conditions.

However, I am having extreme problems with weight issues and trying to lose it since my diagnosis. I can relatively easily maintain my weight and keep relatively healthy and eat healthy however, no matter how much exercise I do, I am just not losing any weight.

My daily calorie intake is around 1,500 calories, full of vegetables and fresh home made food. I will have plenty of water or squash in a day (around 2-3 litres), two meals a day; a sandwich and either a banana, some pineapple or raspberries for breakfast and a home made meal for dinner by which i use a health grill, steamer, hob or oven and I do not add any fat. I do not snack inbetween meals. I don't smoke and haven't drunk any alcohol since May.

I use a rowing machine for at least half an hour solid every day on a rotation of 2 days on and 1 day off to get a good CV workout and i also go on the occasional cycle ride each week.

I really am struggling to establish why I'm not losing any weight and I am now getting very concerned and find the loose fat I can't get rid of a hinderance.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions and hope you can help.

Doctor