Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hypothyroidism, Pregnancy, Second Trimster

Hypothyroidism, Pregnancy, Second Trimster

Patient: My wife is 11 weeks pregnant and was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism (TSH 2.9). I’ve read that the first trimester is the most critical for proper thyroid functioning. If she starts taking thyroid replacement hormones now, is this too late to avert cognitive development impairments, since it’s nearly the end of the first trimester?

Symptoms: Extreme fatigue, blood test result

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.During pregnancy need for thyroid hormones, increase generally , which can lead to diagnosis of hypothyroidism in some women.Though neurological and cognitive development starts in the first trimester itself, substituting thyroid hormones from now onwards can also help in proper growth of the baby.Regular antenatal checkups, dating scan at around 11 weeks, TIFFA (Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 20 weeks and quadruple blood test for mother at around 18 weeks help in monitoring the proper growth of the baby.Take care.