Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hysteroscopy risk when pregnant

Hysteroscopy risk when pregnant

Patient: Hi,My wife had a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy unaware that she was two weeks pregnant, are there any dangers with her pregnancy such as birth defects, should we be concerned?John.

Doctor: Hello,If she was diagnosed to be pregnant during the procedure of hysterolaparoscopy, then i believe hysteroscopy wou ld have been abandoned and procedure terminated without disturbing the pregnancy. There are however no chances of creating birth defects but the concern lies if the pregnancy has been disturbed during hysteroscopy with the distension media and may result in abortion. So it is important to follow up with 3 weekly ultrasound to look for fetal viability ad the growth of the pregnancy.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards