I accidentally slammed my slept elbow into some wood under

Patient

Q: I accidentally slammed my slept elbow into some wood under the arm of our couch. It swelled up and is bruising. It's radiating pain both up my arm between the elbow and shoulder, and also down my arm from the elbow to my fingers. I can extend it, but when I try and bend in upwards, it hurts, and I feel a pulling in the tricep area. This was about 4 hours ago and not feeling any better. I've been icing it, and resting it.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is very difficult for a swelling or injury to recover in just 4 hours. Here is what you should do to help with the recovery:
Rest the elbow
Ice the elbow for 15 minutes at a time every hour
Compress the elbow by using a crepe bandage
Elevate the elbow by putting 2 pillows under it to increase the blood flow
Use Brufen to help reduce the swelling

If the pain does not reduce after 3 days, please see a Doctor. Hope this helps you. All the best.