Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I accidentally took 1 NyQuil this morning before work Is

I accidentally took 1 NyQuil this morning before work Is

Patient: I accidentally took 1 NyQuil this morning before work. Is it safe to take 1 DayQuil now? It has been about 2 hrs.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.I have read your query. I understand your concern.Dayquil ans Nyquil are OTC an ti-Allergics used for common cold but since you have taken Nyquil 2 hours back so it’s better to give a gap of at least 6-8hours before you take the next dose. Ideally the gap should be of 12 hours between the two doses.But in case of severe nasal congestion, it can be taken 8 hourly.The reason for this is that high doses of anti-Allergics can cause excessive sedation, drowsiness which might hamper your work and pose a threat to safe driving. I would advise you to take steam inhalations. Drink hot fluid for symptomatic relief.In case your symptoms persist after 6hours, you may take a dose of Dayquil.I hope it helps.If you have any further query, you may ask me.Stay healthy.