Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I accidentally took valtrex 3000 MG thinking it was

I accidentally took valtrex 3000 MG thinking it was

Patient: I accidentally took valtrex 3000 MG thinking it was my painkiller and I am a nursing mum. should I stop breastfeeding?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Valtrex contains valacyclovir which is used to treat herpes infection.Usually very less amount of Valtrex will be secreted in milk in regular dosage and that may not affect the baby.If you have taken 3000 mg in divided doses like 500 mg twice a day etc, there may not be much harm to baby and you can continue breastfeeding.If you have taken 3000 mg at a time, better to avoid breastfeeding for around 12 to 15 hours, possibly by that time most of the drug will be eliminated from the system.Take care.