I am 100% sure I have fordyce spots, absolutely no doubt in my mind


Q: Hi, I am 100% sure I have fordyce spots, absolutely no doubt in my mind, on the penis, lips and testicles. Words cannot describe how much I want them to go so please can you suggest an effective treatment for them. Also, how effective is surgical treatment and how expensive is it?


A:   Vaporizing laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern, despite the fact that most doctors consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment. Success varies from patient to patient, but some have found relief from pulsed dye Lasers, a laser normally used to treat sebaceous gland hyperplasia which is similar to Fordyce spots. But, treatment with pulsed dye lasers is expensive and the cost varies from place to place. This method is less likely to scar than other methods. No treatment is required for oral Fordyce granules, except for cosmetic removal of labial lesions if you wish to. They usually do not recur after a surgical excision. Consult your Dermatologist for best advice.

Related Q&A

Q: I have a zit like feature on the side of my penis, I squeezed it an white stuff came out an blood but didn't hurt, sh...

Q: I Got A lot Of Red Bumps And Like One Popped And Now It's Like A Dent And A lot Of Red Spots On My Chest.

Q: Hello, I am having issues with my lymph nodes. Two specifically have been enlarged for a month- the first one on the ...

Q: I have a eczema on my hands that recently appeared and used to itch me but the doctor gave me a cream for it. Now rec...

Q: I applied elocom cream to my irritated spots on my face, and now i've seen that it has bleached/lightened the areas i...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon